Bed bugs are disturbing guests. If you've found them in your home, it is likely that you have questions. Lots of questions. We're going to take a look at the question we get asked most. How do you get bed bugs? At the heart of this question is the concern that Manchester residents acquire bed bugs because they've done something wrong. This is actually not the case at all. It may surprise you to learn that bed bugs don't choose you. These insects spread passively from one location to another. So, there is nothing about your home that will make you more susceptible to an infestation of these insects. So, where do bed bugs come from? Let's look at how you can tell you have bed bugs, where they may have come from, and discuss prevention and control.
Easy-To-Spot Signs Of Bed Bugs In Your Manchester Home
First, we need to make sure you have bed bugs. There are a few bugs that can be mistaken for bed bugs. Here's how to check for bed bugs.
- Look for tiny, six-legged insects that are shaped like an apple seed. If they are newly hatched, they'll be a pale color, and about 1mm long. If they are growing bugs, they'll be tan. Adult bed bugs are brownish-red, but may appear black because of the black feces inside their bodies.
- When you find bed bugs, you're likely to also find other things, such as black feces, shed skins, and tiny white eggs. These signs can be found on sheets, pillowcases, upholstered furniture, wood surfaces, and more. You'll also find them around the bed bugs in areas where they are hiding, such as in tight or compressed spaces.
- Keep in mind that several bed bugs can be in a small spot the size of your thumbnail. You'll need to look closely to find them.
How Bed Bug Infestations Spread In Manchester
Now that you know how to check for bed bugs, and you have an idea of what they look like, let's consider where they may have come from? Where do bed bugs come from? Other infested places. Here are a few examples.
- You could pick bed bugs up at the home of a relative or friend.
- You could get bed bugs when you visit a senior in assisted living.
- You can get bed bugs from going to the movies or getting a book at the library.
- You can get bed bugs from riding in a cab, train, plane, or other transportation.
- Most often, bed bugs come home with families after trips. They are commonly found in places where people spend the night.
- You can pick bed bugs up from work or school.
- Your kids can bring bed bugs home with them.
- A neighbor can bring bed bugs to your home when they visit.
- In rare cases, bed bugs can travel through walls from one apartment to another.
Okay. So, how do you get bed bugs in these places? Bed bugs crawl onto you while you're in an infested location, or they get into your stuff. A bed bug could also lay eggs in your stuff. These eggs don't need the mother bed bug in order to hatch. When they come into your home, they can be the beginning of an infestation.
Three Practical Bed Bug Prevention Tips For Manchester Homes
If you don't have bed bugs yet, it is helpful to learn how to prevent bed bugs. These simple prevention tips could keep bed bugs from coming home with you.
- When you enter a location that is infested with bed bugs, you need to be on the lookout. Always do an inspection. Look for the insects, their black feces, shed skins, and white eggs. You can also use your sense of smell. If you smell something that reminds you of a dirty locker room towel, it could be bed bug pheromones you're smelling.
- Protect your laundry items by putting them in a sealed plastic bag. Bed bugs are attracted to items that have been worn.
- Use your dryer to kill bed bugs. When you get home, put items through a 30-minute dryer cycle to kill bed bugs in all stages of development.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs In Your Manchester Home
Now that you know a little about how to prevent bed bugs, let's talk about treatments. How do you treat bed bugs? We recommend looking for bed bug control near you. These insects can be in more than one location. They can be found in very tight spaces. They hide in voids and other places that aren't easy to treat. Professionals use field-tested methods and trusted products to get results. For bed bug control in the Manchester area, reach out to EcoChoice Termite & Pest Control LLC. Our team is highly-trained in the most advanced home bed bug control methods.