There are many ways to stop American cockroaches and many products that promise to deal with infestations. If you've applied some products with no success, you know that it isn't easy to get rid of cockroaches, even when you use cockroach control products that are known to work. Do you know why? It is because American roaches are resilient and resourceful pests. If cockroach pest control is misapplied, roaches will avoid treatments with ease. Join us today as we examine why American cockroaches are difficult to control, why it is critical to control them, and how a licensed pest professional is best equipped to apply cockroach pest control in Manchester. If you are not yet aware of why it is important to get effective American roach control, this article is a must-read. Stick with us all the way to the end and we'll share five tips to help you keep these roaches out—if they haven't gotten in yet or after you've paid to have them removed.
Spotting One American Cockroach Almost Certainly Means More
It is critical to understand a few simple facts about American cockroaches as you consider whether or not to get professional cockroach pest control in Manchester. Two important facts are linked to why spotting one roach in your home is evidence that there are many more. Let's start with these two facts as we examine why American cockroaches are formidable pests.
- American cockroaches reproduce quickly. They often create offspring faster than Manchester residents can eliminate the roaches in their homes.
- Cockroaches don't live alone. They work together to find food, reproduce, and avoid danger. If you find a cockroach in your house, there are definitely more.
- Cockroaches stay hidden in cracks and tight spaces. Studies reveal that only a few roaches in a population are bold enough to go out and search for food. The other roaches wait to see if the bold roaches are successful. When you see one bold cockroach, you can know for sure that you have many timid roaches hiding in your home.
- If you see more than one occasional cockroach, there is even greater cause for concern. As the timid roaches start to make an appearance, one at a time, it is evidence that the roaches in your home have grown a population larger than the available food sources. Since roaches eat everything but the kitchen sink, that means you have a giant population.
- Cockroaches prefer nocturnal activity. Spotting an American roach during the day is another bad sign.
Do you see why effective American cockroach control is important? You can exhaust yourself attempting to control cockroaches, only to have them reproduce faster than you can eliminate them. What's more, the roaches in your home are prone to hide. They're not going to crawl around out in the open and let you know your roach control has failed. You'll have to search for subtle signs of a cockroach infestation if you want to detect them before they are a serious problem. They'll likely only start to reveal themselves after they've grown a significant population, and it is bad to have a large population of these roaches in your home. American cockroaches are dangerous.
Why American Cockroaches Are Considered Dangerous
A dangerous pest is one that bites you, right? That is not the case with American cockroaches. They don't prefer to bite people because they eat decaying organic material. They will eat dead skin, hair, and waste. If you find bites, it is only because a cockroach accidentally bit you as it was attempting to nibble on dead skin or hair while you were sleeping. It is also essential to understand that American cockroaches don't have venom, like a spider, or spread diseases in their saliva, like a mosquito, tick, or flea. They present health concerns in other ways.
- Studies reveal that the presence of cockroaches in urban homes increases hospital visits for asthma-related symptoms. Why is this the case? American cockroaches shed their skins and leave their waste in air ducts and other locations within Manchester homes. These materials dry and become airborne allergens.
- Cockroaches cause stomach ailments and are a source of other diseases. Why is this the case? Cockroaches feed on decomposing matter and feces and are considered unhygienic pests. In Manchester homes, they are a source of contamination everywhere they roam. They contaminate stored foods when they chew through paper and cardboard packaging. They contaminate surfaces, cutting boards, and dishes, as they crawl around in kitchens. They contaminate sensitive items and bathroom surfaces as they search for dead skin, hair, and feces.
- Cockroaches spread microscopic parasitic worms. Researchers have found worms on all pest roaches collected in urban centers. These worms cause stomach ailments.
According to the National Pest Management Association, cockroaches are reported to spread at least 33 kinds of bacteria, 6 kinds of parasitic worms, and at least 7 kinds of human pathogens. It is not good to have cockroaches in any home.
Total Cockroach Control For Manchester Residents
In light of how quickly American cockroaches reproduce, how difficult it is to control them, and the many ways they spread diseases, effective cockroach control is imperative. What does effective roach control look like?
- An inspection is needed to identify the cockroach species being treated. Cockroach identification is critical as different species vary in behavior and food preferences.
- A science-based treatment strategy is required, and field-tested treatment methods work best. Cockroach control products only work when applied correctly.
- Evaluation of the treatment strategy is essential. When cockroaches evade treatments or resist the products used, the strategy needs an alteration.
- Monitoring ensures success. Since cockroaches are prone to hide in cracks and come out only at night, and only after safe food sources are found, effective control requires effective monitoring methods.
A licensed pest management professional has the training, experience, and support team to provide effective cockroach control. If you're in Manchester, contact EcoChoice Termite & Pest Control to arrest a cockroach infestation. Our technicians use trusted products and strategies and always use family-friendly solutions first. When stronger materials are required for control, you can know that your technician will follow all safety protocols and manufacturers' guidelines.
Five Tips To Prevent Future American Cockroach Infestation
Once your American cockroaches are gone (or long before you have a cockroach infestation in your Manchester home), there are steps you can take to keep cockroaches out of your home. Most are steps you can take. The last step is best applied by a professional.
- Address unsanitary conditions around your home. Cockroaches are attracted to the scent of decaying organic matter. Keep your bagged trash in covered containers. Clean your receptacles if they get stinky. Get your trash to the curb weekly to avoid stinky receptacles. Remove anything else around your home that is decaying. Keep in mind that cockroaches eat paper and cardboard as well. Any junk pile is likely to attract roaches. Store all junk in plastic totes to keep roaches out.
- Address moisture problems. American cockroaches have a high moisture requirement. A damp perimeter is sure to attract them. A working gutter system and properly maintained landscaping will help keep your perimeter too dry for American cockroaches to find suitable habitats near your home.
- Address potential hiding places. American cockroaches hide under things. Have you ever heard of palmetto bugs? It is a name given to American cockroaches because they hide underneath palmetto leaves where there is protection from the sun and the moisture required for hydration. In Manchester, we don't have palmetto leaves, but any leaf litter will do. Rake leaves as soon as possible to remove them as an attractant for American roaches.
- Address potential entry points. Cockroaches are attracted to tight spaces in every environment they explore. On the inside of your home, they'll hide in tight spaces, but on the outside of your home, tight spaces can lure them inside. Get out the caulking gun and fill holes, cracks, and gaps. If you have a void behind a joist, expanding foam can fill that void.
- Apply crack and crevice treatments. A licensed pest control technician applies a liquid barrier treatment as a part of year-round pest control. These treatments make it hard for cockroaches to live near your home, or get inside.
So, there you have it. Is effective control important? We think so and we hope you do as well. If you're in Manchester, remember that the service team at EcoChoice Termite & Pest Control is always standing ready to assist you with industry-leading solutions and family-friendly pest control. We are committed to providing smart, science-based solutions to address pest threats in our area. Whether you need a cockroach treatment to arrest an infestation or you want ongoing protection from roaches and other pests that get into Manchester homes, we're here to help. Give us a call or navigate to our contact page for assistance. We look forward to meeting and exceeding your expectations.