Termite infestations in Manchester are caused by Eastern subterranean termites. These termites are the most widespread species in the United States and they are responsible for the most damage. The last thing you need is to have these termites in your yard. Let's take a look at how you can spot a termite infestation in your Manchester home, how to detect active termites around your home, and discuss the best way to get rid of termites.
The Lifecycle Of Subterranean Termites In Manchester
Before we discuss the clear signs of a termite infestation and how to detect a termite problem, we first need to discuss what termites look like in their stages of development. This is so that you'll recognize termites when you see them.
- All termites start as workers. These are pale insects with six legs and three body parts. They look a little bit like fat ants. If you see worker termites, you might not recognize them because of their small size. A termite worker can be a mere ⅛ of an inch in length.
- Some worker termites develop into soldier termites. These soldiers can be found with the workers. They have large (large for their size) heads with black pincers on the front.
- Some worker termites develop into male and female reproductives, and some reproductives develop wings. These are black termites with long white wings that are rounded at the tips. At ⅜ of an inch in length, a swarmer is much larger than a worker termite, but it's still not much to look at. If one swarmer lands on your skin while you're in the yard, you might brush it away and think nothing of it. We hope you don't. That little termite could be warning you of a termite problem.
Five Clear Signs Of Termites In Your Manchester Home
Eastern subterranean termites can feed on your home by the millions and never give you any detectable warning signs. If you do see a sign, you might want to thank those termites for providing it. The reason subterranean termites are so destructive is that they're secretive. Over the course of years, they do a lot of damage quietly in a home.
Here are five clear signs that termites are in your home:
- You find winged termites crawling around inside. Winged reproductive termites are attracted to light. It is much dimmer on the inside of your home. When you see winged termites in your home, there is little chance that they got in from the outside. A termite swarm in your house is not only a clear sign of an infestation, it is a clear sign of a severe infestation. Most of the time, termite swarmers emerge outside. This is because the nest is in the ground outside and away from your home. If they emerge inside, it is because the nest is near or under your home. It is not good to find a termite swarm in your house.
- Eastern subterranean termites create shelter tubes made of soil and saliva. These tubes, often called mud tubes, are usually found on foundation walls but you may see them on interior walls and surfaces. The most likely place to find these tubes is in areas of your home that are humid.
- While rare, you might hear clicking noises if termites are in your walls. This clicking noise comes from the soldiers. They bang their heads against tunnel walls to warn the other termites of a threat, such as an ant invasion.
- You might detect hollow wood beams. If you tap on a beam that should be solid and strong but you notice a hollow sound, it is a clear indication that you have a termite infestation.
- Over time, walls will begin to bulge, floors will sink, and ceilings will sag. If you're noticing changes to your home on a large scale, you probably have active termites damaging your property.
Factors That Attract Termites To Manchester Houses
Termite infestations in Manchester often begin because termites find a food source in the yard. If you want to prevent termite damage, it is a good idea to do some or all of the following:
- Don't stack dead branches in your yard. Burn them or remove them. You may also elevate them on a platform to get them off the ground. This will allow you to see shelter tubes on the platform as termites attempt to get to this ideal food source.
- Remove scrap wood, campfire wood, and other wood sources, or elevate them.
- Never bury wood in your yard.
- Never leave cardboard on the ground.
How To Get Rid Of Termites In Your Manchester Home
If you have active termites in your home or on your property, the best way to get rid of termites is to contact a licensed residential pest control professional. This is where the service team at EcoChoice Termite & Pest Control, LLC can help.
We offer industry-leading termite control solutions to arrest termite infestation and to prevent termite colonies from feeding on your home. Reach out to us today for quality termite control in Manchester.