How To Keep Rodents Away From Your Manchester Residence
If there's one uninvited guest you don't want to stop by your Manchester home, it's a rodent. Not only are they disease-ridden and multiply quickly, but they don't exactly pay rent either.
Here's what Manchester homeowners should know about the types of rodents you may encounter, how pet food can become rodent food, how to use pest control products around kids and pets, and how pest control in Manchester can help you keep rodents away from your home.
What Are The Types Of Property-Invading Rodents In Manchester?
The common rodents that you'll find in Manchester include:
- Brown rats: Brown rats, also called Norway rats, are bulky rats growing up to eight inches in length. They prefer to burrow their way into homes.
- Field mice: While they may not always enter homes intentionally, field mice can become a huge nuisance on Manchester properties. These mice have short, stocky bodies and snouts that make them easy to differentiate from house mice. Field mice may sometimes be carried into homes by accident, such as in a bundle of wood.
- House mice: Unlike field mice, house mice aren't shy about entering homes. They have light underbellies, coarse fur, and longer snouts than field mice.
No matter which of these pests is making their way into your Manchester home, it is important to get them out and keep them out.
Making Sure Pet Food Doesn't Become Pest Food
When it comes to preventing a rodent infestation, many homeowners already know that they should be careful about food sanitation and storage practices. Leaving out leftovers or even letting trash cans overflow can be easy targets for rodents, but these pests are even more crafty. In the absence of regular leftovers or garbage, ugly rodents may also chomp down on pet food.
All rodents, including brown rats, field mice, and house mice, are opportunistic feeders that will eat just about anything they can get their hands on. While pet food may not sound very appetizing to people, it's still chock-full of nutrients that may appeal to rodents.
Here's how you can prevent your dog or cat food from becoming a rodent's meal:
- Don't leave pet food sitting out overnight when nocturnal rodents may get into it without your knowledge. Before you go to bed, it's always a good idea to make sure you empty any remaining food and clean the bowl.
- Make sure your pet food is in a sealed container. A lot of dog and cat food comes in bags, which don't reseal once you've opened them. It's not difficult for rodents to get into or chew through these bags, so placing the pet food in a separate, sealed container is essential.
- Try to prevent too many pet leftovers. While some pets might eat every last bite of their dinner, other pets leave some of their food behind to enjoy later. Even if you're not leaving it overnight, too much pet food in the bowl could attract rodents. The best way to prevent leftovers is by feeding your pet on a regulated meal schedule rather than just free feeding.
Don't let pet food be the reason rodents find their way into your home. Instead, feed pets on a regular schedule and never leave their food accessible to rodents.
How To Use Pest Control Products Safely Around Kids & Pets
If you're going to use over-the-counter pest control products to get rid of rodents, it's important that you do so in a safe manner that doesn't put your kids or pets at risk, such as:
- Always remove pets and kids from the room or the house before using any pesticides or treatments.
- Make sure you remove food and toys, like snacks or your dog's favorite chew toy.
- Always follow the directions on the product carefully, including precautions and warning labels.
- Allow for the treatments to completely dry before allowing pets and kids back into the house.
Along with the tips above, consulting a pest control professional can ensure you're keeping your family and pets safe during pest control treatments.
How To Safely Get Rid Of Rodents In Manchester And Keep Them Away
There's plenty of room for error with DIY rodent control or OTC pest control products, which is why the safest way to get rid of rodents in Manchester is by working with EcoChoice Termite & Pest Control.
While our treatments may be gentle on kids, pets, and people, they're just as tough and effective for rodents. Don't wait any longer if you have reason to believe rodents are inside your Manchester home. Contact us today at EcoChoice Termite & Pest Control to learn more about how our rodent control program can help you.